Your spiritual journey as a follower of Christ began the moment you admitted personal sin and placed your trust in Christ as Savior and Lord. From that point, until death or the return of Christ, your life’s call is to grow in Christ likeness.
Jesus summarizes the disciples call in Mark 8:34 “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.” NIV
Accomplishing such a challenging assignment requires growing in your understanding of what it means to be a Christian, expanding your personal knowledge of biblical truth, and applying daily what you learn. Through the presence of His indwelling Spirit, God enables you to know, obey, and serve Him.
God desires for His children to grow spiritually and His Word encourages personal examination as an element of growth:
• “…let us test and examine our ways.” Lamentations 3:30 NLT
• “Now this is what the LORD Almighty says: ‘Give careful thought to your ways.’” Haggai 1:5 NIV
• “Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way.” Psalm 139:23-24 NASB
• “Pay careful attention, then, to how you walk – not as unwise people, but as wise.” Ephesians 5:15 CSB
This assessment process can help you complete an examination and careful search of your spiritual growth. Follow these simple steps to complete the process.
1. Complete the Spiritual Growth Assessment.
The assessment helps you think carefully about your spiritual development related to six specific spiritual disciplines: abiding in Christ, living in the Word, praying in faith, fellowshipping with believers, witnessing to the world, and ministering to others. Before completing your responses, ask the Lord to guide your evaluation and allow your heart to be open and honest. Resist the urge to compare scores with others or score yourself according to where you want to be. Trust God to help you grow spiritually by revealing heart issues and empowering you to take action.
2. Draw and evaluate your Discipleship Wheel.
3. Enlist an accountability partner and begin working on a personal Spiritual Growth Plan.
4. Use the Recommended Actions for Spiritual Growth Guide to discover suggestions for action to include in your plan. As you discuss your plan with an accountability partner, you may discover additional actions that are unique to your needs.
As you complete this assessment process the temptation might be to think your efforts are central to growing spiritually. Remember, becoming like Christ centers on His work in us and not our work for Him. Without question, God does the revealing, renewing, empowering, and recreating. Your part as His disciple is to do the yielding, submitting and obeying. May God bless your journey as you grow more like Him!
As you complete the assessment, avoid rushing. Listen for God’s voice to encourage and
challenge you. Consider this experience as one-on-one time with Him. Be intentional in
your growth towards Christ-likeness. Use the scale below to respond to each statement.
Never - 1
Seldom - 2
Occasionally - 3
Frequent - 4
Always - 5
FELLOWSHIP WITH BELIEVERS